CHP and District Heating Scheme, University of the West of England, Bristol
Contract Value: £1.9 million
Main Contractor: F P Hurley
Client: University of the West of England
Building on our success with the University of the West of England, F P Hurley were appointed as Main Contractor to head up the CHP and District Heating Scheme. The works included the supply, installation and commissioning of all heating plant and associated equipment within the Energy Centre, as well as the supply and installation of substation integration equipment within each of the four existing buildings, connecting them to the network supplied by the Energy Centre.
Key elements of the work included:
- The installation of two natural gas CHP units, complete with an exhaust system.
- Two 35,000-litre insulated thermal stores and heat network distribution pumps to be located within the Energy Centre.
- Water treatment, filtration and pressurisation equipment to be installed within the Energy Centre.
- Modification and supply installation of BMS systems within the Energy Centre and substations.
- Supply and installation of all equipment within the four substations, including heat exchangers, pipework, pumps, control valves and heat meters, to facilitate connection to the network.
- Building works which allow for modifications to the existing plant room to create the Energy Centre, including a new roof and access stairs.
- F P Hurley will provide an ‘as-built’ 3D model of the completed installed works in BIM.